Monday, December 12, 2011

Recommendation: MoRkObOt - Morbo (2011, Supernatural Cat)


"The following product is recommended to all those suffering from Morbo-ism, a severe mental state characterized by dizziness, inability to concentrate, involuntary limb movements and unintelligible speech".


Upon reading the latest Rock-A-Rolla issue, I found out about the Italian trio MoRkObOt and proceeded to have a listen to their music. I've gotten hold of their 4th and latest album, Morbo, which is a heavy and dirty sounding slice of noise/psych/experimental rock. This album was a punch to the face and as such prompted me to go over their back catalog, which apparently is a little different than what is on this album. Perhaps one of the readers of this blog can comment on the past releases and how they compare to this current one.  

I love these kind of albums. Those dirty and gritty types of releases that make you doubt your sanity and sound like a sonic representation of a mental breakdown (check out the Belgian band XhohX for a prime example of that). Heavy, pounding and blunt, the music is played by drums and two bass guitars, and while for some people it will sound all too same-y, I had a different impression (or rather approach to listening to the album). I found that there is variation in the bass sounds (with pedals) and in the rhythmic section. Indeed, the drumming is what drives the music here with its erratic and changing nature. It's brutal, efficient and relentless. The end result is a non-stop aural assault, achieving hypnotic effects on the mind, numbing you down but also exciting at the same time. It can be an exhausting album, but when the mood strikes (like it does for me often), this is the album to put on. 

I'd recommend this album if you like the music of Combat Astronomy, Ultralyd, Noxagt, MoHa! and Lightning Bolt.

Listen to samples and buy here
Buy here as well
Official website
Soundcloud

Ultramorth


MoR


Oktrombo


Obrom


Orbothord


Oktomorb


Orkotomb

2 comments:

  1. This is excellent! Thanks Assaf (and thanks for all your Combat Astronomy support)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie,
    I'm glad you like it.
    I was highly and pleasantly surprised when I first listened to it. It's slowly creeping up to be one of my favourites of the year.

    Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to more Combat Astronomy!

    ReplyDelete

Any comments?