Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Recommendation: Navanoise/Steve Navarre (USA, electronic/ambient)

I don't know anything about Steve Navarre, except that he plays in the band Pindral and that he has his electronic/ambient project Navanoise, which I'm featuring here.

Here's what he writes in his Myspace:

"This project is an ongoing trial and error effort combining my love for sound. I love dabbling with synthesizers, field recording, real instruments and computer programming. The songs or perhaps better put, sound sketches, are a result. Music has been a passion for most of my life. When I'm not dabbling with my own sonic experiments I play bass in the Denver-based progressive rock band Pindral. I also have fondness for photography. The above sound sketches are unreleased demos. My usual technique is trying to combine elements that aren't intitally intended on going together, then by trial and error happy accidents occur and hopefully a comprehesive sound sketch is the result.
The first two "Are You Popular" and "Epiphany" are samples of newer work. They are a combination of synthesizer swatches I developed then added various other elements to them, such as, recordings from old stock movies and ham radio recrdings, programmed drums, etc. These will hopefully will be part of an upcoming official release I'm working on tentatively entitled "Enigmatic Oddysses".

The other samples are from a 2003 demo. "M2 Dreams" is an experiment with an old Hammond M2 organ I acquired for $35 at a local thrift store. All the organ parts/sounds are from this 50+ year old treasure in which I recorded a ten minute organ part holding down various chords and then utilized the draw bars to give the amazing textures. I then added programmed beats, field recordings and a former bandmate, Wayne Martein added the guitar part.
"Shortwave Iraq" is an edit of an over 18 minute piece I did during the first week of the war on Iraq. I recorded Bush's speech and various shortwave radio snippits from around the globe a couple nights right after the war was launched and added electric bass, programmed rhythms, field recordings and real percussion instruments to make this, perhaps reactionary piece of music. Hope you enjoy. They are rough in nature production-wise. Thanks if you do listen."

You can listen to the album in his Bandcamp; see below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments?