Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Recommendation: The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre


At the center of it all...

What an incredible album.
I've fallen for The Devil's Blood brand of hard/psychedelic rock, the fuzzy sound, the mysterious ambiance, the beautiful female vocals and background harmonizations. This is a group I want to know nothing about, except to listen to their music. There is something to be said about listening to something obscure, unknown and mysterious. 
When I was in high school, I was discovering new metal bands like Iced Earth, Paradise Lost, Sepulture, Amorphis, King Diamond, Kreator, Unleashed, Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Bolt Thrower and I knew absolutely nothing about them, except their music. I didn't know anything about these bands were at the time, mainly due to the fact that there was no internet, no metal radio or TV shows, no magazine or fanzine available. This was in fact a great contributor to creating that magic while listening to the music. I immersed myself with it and it took me to different places. Listening to Death's album, Spiritual Healing was a revelation. I was struck by the ferocity and rawness of the music, the fancy guitar solos and the lyrical content. And for some reason, not knowing who they were, contributed to this appealing enigmatic mystique. 
That is the case with The Devil's Blood. I discovered their first full-length first, without knowing the first thing about the band, and was thrilled by the music. I then proceeded to their EP, which was somewhat different, grandiose and volumetric, much like this current release. The Thousandfold Epicentre is staggering. It is epic, beautiful, filled with memorable tunes, but more than that, it has an alluring feel and tone, a spellbinding vibe that just sucks me into the album and doesn't let go until the end, and then some. And to know more about the band, will somehow ruin this for me. Not knowing, in this case, is better.

Links:
Official website
Facebook



1 comment:

  1. this is a quality album: '70s hard rock influenced, but not in a slavish, predictable way. well played and sung, it is exciting, rocking. would love to see them live. thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments?